Every year, the SIGMOD Conference includes a symposium about starting a career in the data management community. These symposia are geared towards graduate students and junior researchers, but they attract a very broad audience because they are both informative and entertaining.
This year's panel took place Tuesday 2016-06-28, 17:30-19:00. The topic was The Human Side of Research. This included issues such as
- dealing with the expectations of other people
- managing junior researchers
- managing the relationship with your advisor
- determining the order of authors on a paper / crediting other people’s work or contributions
- assessing the ethical impact of your research on society
- squaring research and family
- dealing with difficult people (including colleagues, advisors, or students)
- finding the right balance in the influence of life on work, and work on life
- seeing yourself in the context of your team, society, and your family
See pictures of the event.